Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mommas Day

Well I wanted to start first and foremost by thanking all the readers that have stopped by my spot so far. Your comments are all appreciated, even the ones that tell me I cannot spell, which by the way reminds me of a funny story. It must have been fourth or fifth grade and I had made it to the regional round of the spelling bee. First word I have to spell, aluminum. Never got past the first three or four letters. As you can imagine as a young boy I was quite dejected to have spelled my fist word incorrectly. I remember quite vividly looking into the audience and realizing, before the judge even had to say anything, by the look on mom's face that I had gotten it wrong. And that brings me to the point of this blog.
Let me start by saying my mother raised me well. I am polite to my elders, I hold the door ladies, I treat everyone with respect, and I love my family. But I am twenty four years old, and that's a lot of time to have made mistakes. And though there are much worse children growing up in this world today, I think my mom would agree I was no picnic. It is probably still hard for her to deal with me at twenty four.
I recall several occasions that I drove my mother up a wall. For instance, when I was a freshman in high school my mom had imposed a curfew on me. Now twelve in the evening is very generous looking back at it, but at the time it wasn't enough. I had some trouble with breaking curfew, I would come home late and mother would enforce. As you can imagine this would cause argument after argument and I remember her telling me don't bother showing up if I am going to be late. I'm pretty sure this would not meant in the literal way, but more so as a threat to cut my you know what. Well one night I obliged her and stayed out all night. I would love to say that was the last time but it wasn't. These are just minor incidents, I could probably go on for the entire day. Because I always heard mom's know everything that's going on, but I would beg to differ. I was kind of a cut-up in school, usually getting by with C's, though there were subjects I really enjoyed and payed attention to such as history and........lunch. High school was a tough time for the two of us as we battled each other a lot. I screwed up my military career due to alcohol, which must have been disappointing to her as well.
And there are a few other things that I have done to cause her heartache, and stress that I will not get into here, not because I am afraid to talk about it, but I know she reads me some things are better left in the past. But despite all this, she is still proud of what I have done in my lifetime. I often wonder how I can repay her for everything she has done for me in my life, and I draw a blank. How can you repay someone who has put up with that for twenty four years? I don't know. I only know that things got bad for me for a while, and that hurt her, and worried her too probably. But I have tried to turn all that around, and maybe she can tell. I guess if I had just one thing to say to her on this Mother's Day it would be this:
Mom I love you very much, I have made many mistakes and I am so happy you forgive me for all of them. I hope to not cause you any more disappointment, though I am not making any guarantees. But I do promise to try so much harder than I have to make you proud, though I know you will always be proud of your boys no matter where they end up in life. You are the best mother in this world, and as long as Drew and I have you to turn to; I think we can handle anything this crazy world throws at us. Thanks for all your patience, love, and the occasional financial assistance. And in case you were wondering I didn't have to spell check aluminum. Happy Mothers Day to all the other great mothers out there, you truly have the most noble job in the world.

10 comments:

Mrs4444 said...

I'm sure your mom will appreciate your post :) Thanks for the Mothers Day wishes...

P.S. Feel free to join me on Fridays for Friday Fragments; just a collection of random thoughts from throughout your week; easy, but very satisfying posts to write. Mr.Linky is there to link up FF posts only (but I'll let you slide this time, since you wrote such a sweet post :)

Don't forget breakfast in bed for Mom tomorrow... :)

Debz said...

Oh crap. And I was just making fun of you with one of the 'girls'. Now I'm crying. Nice.

I do love you and am as proud of you as any mother could be. No matter what you do or how badly you screw up. I'll always love you. As long as there is a me Chris, there will be love.

Mom

Helga Marie Bee said...

visiting over at the suggestion of you mother. you are lucky to have such a great mom, and I love that you know that, and are able to appreciate her!!

Unknown said...

I can't imagine reading a better post from a son to his mom. Well done!

Unknown said...

Ahhhh...well done.. now you have all of the mommies teary eyed.

Sunny said...

That is very sweet. :)

Ginger said...

Hi Chris:
That was a sweet post and thank you for the mother's day wishes. Having raised 4 kids myself (3 of them boys) I can say that no matter how much hurt, or disappointment kids cause, a mother's love is forever.

Ash said...

I can't wait until my oldest can blog - I can only hope that he would write something half as sweet.

Very nicely done. Em (I hope you still bought her a card)

Tiffany said...

Aww look at you making Deb cry. Awesome! And that was a very sweet post.

Debz said...

Hey! You really need to take off the content warning. It's just a pain in the butt to have to click one more thing to get here. If you feel you need a warning, use the same words, but as a "text post it note" at the top of your blog. Then you have warned everyone without them having to click again. Not a biggie, it's just a pain.

Love you,
Mom